This contains all major version changes between Click releases.
(bugfix release, released on July 14th 2015)
- Fix a bug where error messages would include a trailing None string.
- Fix a bug where Click would crash on docstrings with trailing newlines.
- Support streams with encoding set to None on Python 3 by barfing with a better error.
- Handle ^C in less-pager properly.
- Handle return value of None from sys.getfilesystemencoding
- Fix crash when writing to unicode files with click.echo.
- Fix type inference with multiple options.
(codename “zoom zoom”, released on March 31st 2015)
- Added color parameters to lots of interfaces that directly or indirectly call into echoing. This previously was always autodetection (with the exception of the echo_via_pager function). Now you can forcefully enable or disable it, overriding the auto detection of Click.
- Added an UNPROCESSED type which does not perform any type changes which simplifies text handling on 2.x / 3.x in some special advanced usecases.
- Added NoSuchOption and BadOptionUsage exceptions for more generic handling of errors.
- Added support for handling of unprocessed options which can be useful in situations where arguments are forwarded to underlying tools.
- Added max_content_width parameter to the context which can be used to change the maximum width of help output. By default Click will not format content for more than 80 characters width.
- Added support for writing prompts to stderr.
- Fix a bug when showing the default for multiple arguments.
- Added support for custom subclasses to option and argument.
- Fix bug in
clear()on Windows when colorama is installed.
nargs=-1for options properly. Options cannot be variadic.
- Fixed an issue with bash completion not working properly for commands with non ASCII characters or dashes.
- Added a way to manually update the progressbar.
- Changed the formatting of missing arguments. Previously the internal argument name was shown in error messages, now the metavar is shown if passed. In case an automated metavar is selected, it’s stripped of extra formatting first.
(bugfix release, released on September 8th 2014)
- Fixed an issue with error reporting on Python 3 for invalid forwarding of commands.
(bugfix release, released on August 22nd 2014)
- Added missing err parameter forwarding to the secho function.
- Fixed default parameters not being handled properly by the context invoke method. This is a backwards incompatible change if the function was used improperly. See Upgrading to 3.2 for more information.
- Removed the invoked_subcommands attribute largely. It is not possible to provide it to work error free due to how the parsing works so this API has been deprecated. See Upgrading to 3.2 for more information.
- Restored the functionality of invoked_subcommand which was broken as a regression in 3.1.
(bugfix release, released on August 13th 2014)
- Fixed a regression that caused contexts of subcommands to be created before the parent command was invoked which was a regression from earlier Click versions.
(codename “clonk clonk”, released on August 12th 2014)
- formatter now no longer attempts to accomodate for terminals smaller than 50 characters. If that happens it just assumes a minimal width.
- added a way to not swallow exceptions in the test system.
- added better support for colors with pagers and ways to override the autodetection.
- the CLI runner’s result object now has a traceback attached.
- improved automatic short help detection to work better with dots that do not terminate sentences.
- when definining options without actual valid option strings now, Click will give an error message instead of silently passing. This should catch situations where users wanted to created arguments instead of options.
- Restructured Click internally to support vendoring.
- Added support for multi command chaining.
- Added support for defaults on options with multiple and options and arguments with nargs != 1.
- label passed to progressbar is no longer rendered with whitespace stripped.
- added a way to disable the standalone mode of the main method on a Click command to be able to handle errors better.
- added support for returning values from command callbacks.
- added simplifications for printing to stderr from echo.
- added result callbacks for groups.
- entering a context multiple times defers the cleanup until the last exit occurs.
- added open_file.
(bugfix release, released on August 11th 2014)
- Fixed an issue where the wrapped streams on Python 3 would be reporting incorrect values for seekable.
(bugfix release, released on July 28th 2014)
- Fixed a bug with text wrapping on Python 3.
(bugfix release, released on July 4th 2014)
- Corrected a bug in the change of the help option in 2.3.
(bugfix release, released on July 3rd 2014)
- Fixed an incorrectly formatted help record for count options.’
- Add support for ansi code stripping on Windows if colorama is not available.
- restored the Click 1.0 handling of the help parameter for certain edge cases.
(bugfix release, released on June 26th 2014)
- fixed tty detection on PyPy.
- fixed an issue that progress bars were not rendered when the context manager was entered.
(bugfix release, released on June 14th 2014)
- fixed the
launch()function on windows.
- improved the colorama support on windows to try hard to not screw up the console if the application is interrupted.
- fixed windows terminals incorrectly being reported to be 80 characters wide instead of 79
- use colorama win32 bindings if available to get the correct dimensions of a windows terminal.
- fixed an issue with custom function types on Python 3.
- fixed an issue with unknown options being incorrectly reported in error messages.
(codename “tap tap tap”, released on June 6th 2014)
- added support for opening stdin/stdout on Windows in binary mode correctly.
- added support for atomic writes to files by going through a temporary file.
BadParameterwhich can be used to easily perform custom validation with the same error messages as in the type system.
progressbar(); a function to show progress bars.
get_app_dir(); a function to calculate the home folder for configs.
- Added transparent handling for ANSI codes into the
echo()function through colorama.
- Breaking change: parameter callbacks now get the parameter object passed as second argument. There is legacy support for old callbacks which will warn but still execute the script.
secho()for ANSI styles.
- Added an
edit()function that invokes the default editor.
- Added an
launch()function that launches browsers and applications.
- nargs of -1 for arguments can now be forced to be a single item through the required flag. It defaults to not required.
- setting a default for arguments now implicitly makes it non required.
- changed “yN” / “Yn” to “y/N” and “Y/n” in confirmation prompts.
- added basic support for bash completion.
getchar()to fetch a single character from the terminal.
- errors now go to stderr as intended.
- fixed various issues with more exotic parameter formats like DOS/Windows style arguments.
pause()which works similar to the Windows
pausecmd built-in but becomes an automatic noop if the application is not run through a terminal.
- added a bit of extra information about missing choice parameters.
- changed how the help function is implemented to allow global overriding of the help option.
- added support for token normalization to implement case insensitive handling.
- added support for providing defaults for context settings.
(bugfix release, released on May 23rd 2014)
- fixed a bug that caused text files in Python 2 to not accept native strings.
(no codename, released on May 21st 2014)
- Initial release.